Tuesday, July 26, 2011

take a look, it's in a book - a reading rainbow!

Oh my goodness, I just read some past Sarah-blogs (yes, in the time of day I usually do "productive" things... damn you, internet, and your easily accessible ways).  And it leads me to remember that I CAN post more often.  (seriously, I used to blog all the time!)  So all these little blogs I'm blogging in my head?  Yup, I should just sit down and hammer those out.

Yesterday was a good day for me and the mail... because I got not one, but THREE packages!  Truth be told, they were all from myself (meaning I had ordered them), which is not as good as someone SENDING you a package, but it is better than a) no mail b) bills or c) junk mail (which is the worst of the three because then it just clutters up your life).  In each of these packages was a book.  Book the first:

Yes, Today's Military Wife.  I'm hoping to use it as a reference for my big, new, exciting life of a military spouse that is super involved on-base.  It's the updated edition and it looks. like. awesome.  Or at least maybe pretend awesome?

Book the second:
The Army Wife Handbook (I was in a bit of a rut the day I ordered these, I'm not going to lie to you... clearly I was looking for Army-direction).  I purchased this book for three reasons 1) I've seen it referenced in many places, so I assumed that it must be accurate and knowledge-packed!  2) it's out of print now, which makes it feel "exclusive" which makes me want it EVEN MORE. 3) ummm... look how official it looks. I haven't cracked open this book (except to see that it used to belong to Cheryl Belfiore, who I wish the best to.... see: out of print so i bought it used) but I hope it will be the reference book to my new life.  Like the AP Stylebook, but less neon-orange.  And more relevant.

Book the third:
Good Eats 2: The Middle Years.


I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK!  I love it.  (can you tell by my "cuddling with the book" picture?)  In fact, I have already marked at least 9 new things to try (and I'm not even half way through the book!).  One of the reasons this book is so great is the way that it's structured.  It teaches you something and then has "applications" of what you have just learned, instead of simply "here is how to make this."  Instead you know WHY.  And needing to know the WHY of something... that's why I didn't like Math (because you have to know a whole lot of higher math to understand WHY that formula works, and I couldn't take it on faith).  Ooh, I also didn't like math because, you know, I'm not very good at math.

And while we are on mail... here is an interesting factoid for you.  Remember how I said I live in the middle of nowhere?  My mailman drives around in a white beat-up 1990 Honda Civic with an orange light on top.  He wears hawaiian shirts, and rarely gets out of his car (and who can blame him in this heat?).  Yup, my mailman might not be the norm, but he does pick-up (and return) my Netflix to me in a timely manner, as well as dropping of three awesome things yesterday.  Unconventional Mailman: thanks for all the loot.

Happy Internetting, Internets!

2 comments:

Seattle Sister said...

Please don't make the Army Wife Barbie one that says "Math is Hard!" ...Lamest Barbie phrase EVER!

That being out there, I do like your choice of Wife Manuals. Attractive, official, and probably Informative. If anybody tries to make you do anything you shouldn't want to do, though... things like polishing brass or wearing crinoline... feel free to tear those pages OUT!

Am officially jealous of the Alton Brown. He is wise in teaching us WHY cooking WORKS! The Army might want to jump onboard. :)

Muffin said...

Ha! Ben loves those Alton books and we have them all - including the posters that hang in the extra bedroom. Ben is also quoting him like about how it's no good to have cooking tools with only one use....