Thursday, October 9, 2008

Vignettes

Remember how everyone's favorite part to their email is the end with the random and off-topic comments. This will be the entire email today. Each will have its own title and topic. Also, the title will be a lyric from a musical. (I hope at least one of you will know all the musicals) Now that the rules are pinned down we may begin the debate.

Connection in an isolating age...

Last night I saw Into the Woods staring the wonderful and soon to be famous Jon McBride. Once upon a time Jon, Tara Randall, Scott Bleazard and I used to sing along to the song "It's Your Fault" in the choir room at lunch. (Yes, we were nerds.) Scott's favorite part was "Yes, HOW, hmmm, well!" And last night as I was watching Jon sing the SAME song, during that lyric, I was thinking of that moment.

And, come to find-out, SO WAS HE! At the same moment. Isn't it nice to feel connected to someone?


And despite the impression I give, I confess that I'm living a lie. Because I'm actually terribly timid and horribly shy

As a child, I was fairly shy. The first time I ever sang a solo was at a family reunion, and it took me 30 minutes to get up on stage during the talent show. When I finally did get on stage I sat in a chair and looked at a string coming off my dress for the entire song of "God Bless America." (The string was navy blue.) And now, twenty-something years later, I feel like I'm back in the same place. Somewhere along the line I feel like all of my self-confidence has been sucked out of me... and I'm left feeling alone, and talentless. Scared of what people will say and freaked out to try.


I wonder if it'll snow tonight?

It's supposed to snow this weekend! And while I am sad because I wanted to hike Timp this weekend (stupid work getting in my stupid weekend plans all the other weeks...) I am happy because it's fall. And I can start listening to "Song for a Winter's Night" without stop until February (which is about when I get tired of it).

Ding dong the bells are gunna shine!

Robin... my very own Robin. Robin who I dressed up like a super hero with. Robin who taught me how to tap under a streetlight on Ben Margett's street. Robin who would buy $2 worth of gas with me. Robin who taught me the joy of sugar cookies. Robin is getting married. TOMORROW! HOLY FRICKIN FRICK! I'm so excited for her.

Also, here is Elisha's list of reasons she is going to wear jeans to the reception (just so none of you judge her): 1) it's at a park 2) they'll be serving pretzels 3) they were super heroes on their announcements. So don't judge Elisha if she's wearing jeans. :)

Memories!

A fun game:
1. Add a comment on this post, leave one memory that you and I had together. It doesn't matter if you know me a little or a lot, anything you remember!
2. Next, re-post these instructions on your blog and see how many people leave a memory about you. It's actually pretty funny to see the responses. If you leave a memory about me, I'll assume you're playing the game and I'll come to your blog and leave one about you.

8 comments:

Elisha said...

I don't know which of the memories we've had to pick...the time Jeff asked us if we were a couple, the time we McGyver'd out of my room, our music videos, our dance at Robin's concert, times we've laughed, times we've cried... You're my person I can't just pick one memory cause it seems we have a lifetime (or three years worth at least)

And dang skippy I'll be wearing jeans... so judge away (but please judge how hot I look!)

Freddy said...

Hmmm a memory.
Oh, I got one! There was this one time that I asked you out and we first went and bought Wendy's chicken wraps and whilst driving to the movie theater we chatted about certain radio stations we liked and which ones we did not. We saw the new Narnia movie which I think we both liked. What made us even MORE excited was the preview for Beverly Hills Chihuahua! Oh man! We couldn't WAIT! I remember YOU were so excited you ate my box of Milk Duds. ;)
It was a fun date but it ended boring cause I got tired(sorry about that). Stupid me.
Good times.

L.K. McIntosh said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you have phrases from musicals in your posts! It's fantastic!

A memory, eh? I remember that super fun BBQ we had at Elisha's house and how you were a total blast to hang out with! Good times.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... too many memories to share... and yet, one does present itself. Since we're talking about Musicals, that is. I remember taking you at age 9 to your first "Broadway Show" - at Pioneer - we saw "Sunday in the Park with George." At the end of Act 1, during Dot's big song, I looked over at you in the next seat, and tears were just STREAMING down your face. I thought maybe you were sick or injured, but when I asked you if you were OK, you whispered "She's the only one who understands him and she's LEAVING." I was completely poleaxed by your wisdom, your sensitive nature, and your insight. Age 9.

Never be afraid of what people will say - they'll say it whether you're listening or not. You just go on Sparkling.

A favorite quote - not sure who said it: "Margot, don't be a sheep. People hate sheep. They eat sheep."

Word.

Jon McBride said...

Hmm... memories...all alone in the moonlight, i can smile at the old days, i was beautiful then...see i can do musical theatre quotes too!

well. i am gonna have to mention a few.
1-acting out little fall of rain as a competition with scott and tara. ha ha ha!

2- scaring you by saying "my name's sarah" while you brushed your teeth.

3- going to the zoo with your brothers zoo pass...i was chris for a day! and then getting round table pizza...then to learn many years later another super special event occured on that day...but i won't mention it.

4-writing that awesome group story for english class with ms liddle. he he...remember?

5- riverside hillside..nuff said.

6- "do i love you because you're....fabulous...or are you...fabulous...beacuse i love you?"

and many many more... those were just the ones that popped into my head the fastest.

if we became close friends in 1995 then that means that it has been 13 years...yes 13..THIRTEEN years. lucky number. heres to at the very least 13 more...cause that would make it 26 years. :) love ya!

Cygnus said...

I think all of us go through times of self-doubt and/or -loathing where we question our abilities as friends, professionals, or even just as a decent person. Those thoughts of doubt come from nowhere good.

As a character witness at the trial of your life, I'd swear under oath that you are a wonderfully decent human being, deserving of all the best that life has to offer. You're SARAH, for crying out loud! :)

Hold your head up high. You're the best Sarah EVER! Hands down. :)

Anonymous said...

i can still remember 6/24/97 pretty vividly as i'm sure you can ^^ we didn't really know each other that well back then, but i'm so glad we became closer friends in the years that followed.

Unknown said...

Remember that time we were watching a movie and Kitty came running out of his bedroom carrying Kira? And he ran her to the hospital? And she ended up having a cyst on her ovary? That was crazy.