Saturday, October 4, 2008

I spy... fabulous life

There are lots of reasons to blog. It seems to me that most of my peers blog when their children do cute things. And that's cool. I just don't have children. I mostly blog because I've got a lot of pent-up opinions or thoughts. Or sometimes because I'm bored. Or sometimes because I didn't like my last blog and want my readers to have a better "e-stalking Sarah's Blog" experience. And sometimes because I have pictures I've taken to blog about. This post may or may not be one or all of the above.



Skylines are so interesting. I've heard people say that you can tell the tourists in big cities because they are the ones looking up. Ever since then I've made it a point to look up. Think of the things we're missing by ignoring and going about the day to day... This photo is of a building that's not more than a block from my office. And until this week I'd never noticed it (from the 4th floor up).

RELEVANT STORY TIME!!!

Once upon a time I was on a train from Northampton to London. We were going into town... to go to the airport to head to Paris for the weekend (please note: that is the most jet-setting and city-dropping sentence I've ever written. I'm not that cool or jet-setty as all of you know. Just clarifying. And had I known it would turn out that way I might have started the story differently.) IN FACT...

RELEVANT STORY TIME!!! (take 2)

Once upon a time I was on a train in England (better) and overheard (as one often does on mass-transit) a conversation my neighbors were having. A boy of 7 or so was having a "champion eye-spy tournament" with his brother of, I would assume, 5. The tournament was made only more adorable by the cute accents of the players.

"I spy with my little eye somephing that is green and small"
"Is it that shoe?"
"No"
"Is it the case over there?"
"No"
"Tell me, tell me, tell me!"
"Ooh, fine. It's the flowers on mummy's socks!"


It was a fine game to be sure and didn't make me wish for the children to shut-up ONCE the entire train-ride. Plus, there seemed to be no end of ancient churches in the middle of nowhere we drove past to amuse me. It was a lovely trip and made me fall in love with England and want to live there with adorable-sounding children forever. The End.

From this story, I learn two things. Thing the first: Children notice the details (and when did this stop for adults?). Thing the second, if you are surrounded by something fabulous... you stop forgetting how fabulous it is.

Did no one else NOTICE the adorable and historical churches far older than anything in America because we nock it down after 50 years? Because, you know, Europe is where the history comes from... and they don't even care.

So this is me, publicly declaring that I'm going to try to notice more things. And love the things that I have. After all, there are people who wake-up and are astounded about things I take for granted. I live in the mountains. I have the genealogy library 2 blocks away (and people travel here from all over the world). I live in a safe place where I'm not afraid if I go running before the sun comes up. And I have lovely people in my life. I do have a fabulous life.

End of actual blog. Now it's on to random comments apropos of nothing.

- when I got home from work last night about 1am there was a large box at my door because my new fall SHOES I ordered got here. It was the best thing to come home to in a long time.

- and I wore a pair of these fall shoes today because the weather is perfect for fall. And I'm wearing a trench coat (among other things) which is ANOTHER way I know it's fall. **HAPPY!**


- This is an acceptable amount of Carmel to put on a dessert for Sarah. YUM!




- This is just too large of a cupcake for one person. It is the size of a compact DISC. ridiculous. (and has no Carmel on it.) Also, for the record, I did eat both of these on the same day.

4 comments:

Meili said...

I hereby resolve to notice the fabulous things we are surrounded by here in the state of the Utes. I also commit to have children with British accents.

Kim and Todd said...

- That building is over 50 years old.
- No, there were not people then.
I heart that you incorporated Eddie. I think it should be a rule when people blog about England in any fashion that Eddie should be included.

Lindsay Adams said...

yes, I agree with Kim, my e-stalking Sarah experience was just THAT MUCH better when Eddie was thrown in there! <3

Anonymous said...

I believe that to blog for the sake of writing stuff down is a valid and often very interesting reason to write. Plus, as a person with an insanely cute child who does adorable things constantly (but does not often blog about them) I enjoy my weekly-ish updates on the life of a fabulous singleton and her uniquely interesting perspecitve on the world. Where else can I find that? Nowhere. :)

Please pretend that I have inserted a photoshop of an open jar of caramel and a tiny cupcake floating on top of it. ...THAT is an appropriate amount of caramel for a dessert for Sarah - word. And, again for the record, there is no such thing as too large a cupcake for one person, if that person is willing to eat said cupcake one bite at a time. Feel the cuppy-cake love!

Excusez-moi, ma grandmere est flambe....