A is for attitude I can't help but wield
A is for arrogance; emotional shield
A is for acting, A is for abhorrently
A is for asshole, which is what I am, how rude of me.
I owe you an apology I'm sorry
The Barenaked Ladies have a whole song about the letter A. (part of it is quoted above). In fact, it's called "A". Go fig, right? And today "A" is for ALMOST!

First, let me say that my hair is ALMOST purple. It was a bold move, and probably one I won't make again... but it is a trip. I ALMOST freaked out when I woke-up and saw I, for real, made my hair this color. But I think everyone should make interesting hair decisions at some time in their life and since I was so ultra-conservative in high school and college I would have never dreamed of purple hair. Now I don't dream it, apparently I do it.
My favorite necklace broke today. I mean, it didn't break... it's still in one piece. But, as you can see here, the clasp has broken so it JUST BARELY won't stay on. And this is really bothering me because the rest of it works famously. But it doesn't matter because of that 1mm break. Now it's all gone to pot. LAME.You know, there is a line from Garden State (run out and rent it if you haven't seen it, or give me a call and you can borrow my copy) about how a half-inch of plastic changed his life. An interesting thought. How much of our lives are made and changed by small seemingly-usless things? A butterfly flaps its wings in south america, eh? ... (no, this necklace isn't going to change my life, but it really did make me very happy...)
Back to my "almost" idea. This iPod was almost lost. For around 2 years this iPod has done nothing but sit in a box on my desk and make me think "man... I bought a lot of songs on that iPod and now it's dead." Well Glory Be and Saint's Be Praised, it works! And now, as you can see, it is my "at work" iPod (the cute green iPod shown in previous post being the "preferred iPod of Sarah Timms" and going running and elsewhere with me). Also, you can see here my cute new speaker system. AWESOME! And since I haven't updated the iOld with the new play list, I'm listening to some good stuff. And some stuff like "Could Have Been" by Tiffany. (Yeah, Tiffany was ALMOST awesome...)I find myself feeling like the descriptive word for me and answer to every question these days is "almost."
- Did you get to work on time this morning?
- Are you being a good person?
- Did you keep yesterday free from stress?
- Do you accept criticism without taking it personally?
- Did you return things to your old place of employment yesterday, as you planned?
- Have you finished the files you're presenting at 1:00?
Yeah... ummm... ALMOST.
The thing about "almost" is... it's like the nice way to say no.
8 comments:
A comedian I like (Dmitri Martun( has a routine about another impact-altering word... "Sort of." (OK, so it's two words. Sue me.) He applies it at the ends of otherwise innoccuous sentences such as "I love you...." or "You're going to live...."
Almost does kind of imply, though, that you're planning to complete the task in question. Of course, the best laid plans of mice and men... John Steinbeck. (Can't remember where I was going with that -- but I'm sure it was ALMOST very meaningful!)
BTW, is Dad still alive after having seen your new hair? Or did it only ALMOST kill him? :-)
(I meant Dmitri Martin. Close-parenthesis. Gee, and I almost decided to spell check that post before I posted it....)
I think your purple hair is AWESOME, it could be my favorite shade on you... but I can't remember much once things are changed... but needless to say I love it.
Who loves dying hair? ME! I'm sure my hair has been about a hundred different shades... well, ALMOST. Anyway, as I have been thinking about dying mine again I will cross "almostpurple" off the list so that we don't show up somewhere with the same hair. I mean, it was cool in Jr High to be all twinsies, but now it might almost be embarassing.
I really, really enjoy reading your blogs. I feel like if you and I lived in the same place right now, we'd be best friends.
your hair looks fantastic. i had almostpurple hair once. as i recall, i loved it :)
p.s. you know the little word verification thing? the one that i'm looking at right now? it says "trang!" it wants me to verify the word "trang!" as in, the restaurant that you and i both love to eat at! how awesome is that?!
that necklace is totally fixable. send it i'll fix it for you ^^ btw i wanna see your purple hair!
I agree. Almost is a great word...Bowling for Soup also has a great song dedicated to the almosts in life. Run, run, go listen to it. It, like the rest of "A Hangover You Don't Deserve" is sheer brilliance...
Post a Comment