Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Impressions OR Maybe You're... Gay?

They (you know, the people) say that a first impression lasts a lifetime. I think it's true. Let's take Robin... or Jon... or any of my friends I've known forever. And although I have a million memories of things that have happened since, I have distinct memories of my first impression of them. And the funny thing is... often you learn so much more about that person in the first moments of knowing them than you'll learn in any other moment you have together. Even if your first impression is wrong, you still learn about them (how they come across) or you (you're insecure about being unpopular so you assume everyone else is super popular and you can never be friends with them... not that I ever/always thought/think that).

Recently I've been thinking a lot about first impressions. If I had to go for key words I hope someone got from our first meeting it would have to be "charming, self-effacing and busy." Is this what you thought when you met me? Probably not. If you met me in high school I'm willing to bet my key descriptive words were "hyper, energetic and loud." And in college my descriptive words were probably "full of school spirit, hyper, busy and happy." In all reality if I had to describe myself now, I wouldn't come up with those words I want people to get from our conversation... but isn't it nice to have ideals?

Speaking of first impressions. It is a longstanding truth that my gaydar is broken. I have dated more men who are gay than some people have dated any men. It is sufficiently safe to say that my gaydar is broken. (maybe I need to go to Sharper Image and buy one... that's where Jim told Dwight he could buy one). And this week, once again, my gaydar has proved to me to be totally useless.

My favorite instructor at 24 Hour Fitness, Corey, is fabulous. He teaches classes like Strength Endurance Training, Intermediate Step, 24 Grooves (hip hop dance) and 24 Tease (Aerobic Strip Tease). And while in step class this week I found out that Corey is STRAIGHT. Seriously? That man looks better in the Tease class than the rest of the class COMBINED and he is STRAIGHT? What is this world coming to...

And, in completely unrelated news, I am out of spray duster for my keyboard (no, i did not use it on my shoes, thank you very much). If people knew how crazy I was my keyword descriptor would be "OCD" (even though I think of myself as far LESS OCD than MANY MANY of my friends... who i love).

And, totally useless, this was good to hear:
20

Created by OnePlusYou - Online Dating Service

6 comments:

A-Mart (A is for Awesome!) said...

Ahh first impressions are great. The funny thing for me is that some of the very best friends that I have, were all less-than-favorable first impressions. Not so say I am not friends with people I had good impressions of.

Just some of the worst, I guess makes them the most interesting!

Tara said...

Yes, first impressions are fun. I am pretty sure that I met Justin Lafeen in 1st period my first day at Cottonwood and you in 2nd period ... a guarantee for a fun year indeed.

Brian said...

OMG--Bonde/Red head Corey?

There is no way in the world that man is straight. What about me--did you think I was straight when you first met me? lol

Sarah said...

YES blonde/redhead Corey! I was BLOWN AWAY! It messed with my entire concept of gaydar.

And, yes, I thought you were straight.

Ramsey said...

For what it's worth, he was gay but he really really liked you. And Brian, I knew you were gay WAY before you told me. Any man who loves Rent that much isn't watching it for Mimi's dancing skills. :) Awww.. the good old days of my 1 year at Utah State.

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

Cory is straight?!?!?! Are you kidding?