Thursday, May 27, 2010

you gotta do the truffle shuffle


I’ve joined a special club.


We don’t have secret decoder rings, or a super cool clubhouse (YET!), but I know it’s a club. Because every time I pass one of the people in my club, they give me the special “club salute.” And when I pass people in the club when I’m in my car, I think “gosh, that person is doing a great job.” And that makes me feel like being in the club is totally worth it. It makes getting out of bed to go to meetings more worthwhile. It makes my membership in the club more important to me.

What’s the club?

The early morning runner’s club.



See, Matt and I have new training programs, so I am running before work 3-4 days a week. And at first I just thought “well, I’ve got to do it then because I’m too lazy and it’s too hot any other time.” And that’s still all true, but now I have a secondary motivation… the club.

Because when you’re running in the morning, and you pass another runner, you feel a bond with those people. You feel like “you got out of bed instead of basking in that morning happiness too, eh? Well done us.” And you wave and say “morning” and then go on with your run. PLUS, when you pass another runner, you don’t want to look like the weak-link of the club, so you run. You run harder, you run faster, and you make sure your running skirt isn’t being weird and un-flattering.

And if you’re on a military installation, you pass members all the time.

And that’s good because now (at least in my head, which is where I live so it’s where it counts), I am a more motivated, diligent, fast and attractive runner. All thanks to the people in my club!

And for that… I think we should get a pizza party or something…



BONUS RANT:

Here’s something nobody talks about that it’s not okay to do at work.

Steal pens off other people’s desks. I mean, I get it… you’re important and need to use a pen/pencil/highlighter. But why do you steal it? It throws everyone else off.



Yes, I understand that you are currently ten feet from a communal desk, and thirteen feet from your own, but that doesn’t mean you can take your co-workers pens/pencils/highlighters. What if they have a system? Or are color-coding something with that?

I was at a communal desk yesterday working on a project when a co-worker of mine GOT INTO THE DRAWER of my desk and stole my pink highlighter. Later I saw it sitting on his desk. I am still plotting revenge. And just this morning, I tried to write in my calendar (which I only do in pencil because EVERYONE knows that your calendar stays at your desk always, but your plans change, so you should probably write things in pencil to keep things tidy) and my mechanical pencil is gone. GONE! Without a trace. I guess I’ll walk past everyone else’s offices to get another one out of the supply cabinet. (maybe I’ll get two since there are thieves about.)



(Note: this rant closely resembles my “just take your damn cart to the cart stalls instead of leaving it there for it to run into someone else’s car” rant. Just take the same level of civic unrest I feel towards pen/pencil/highlighter stealers and alter it slightly to fit a different kind of lazy and thoughtless.)

7 comments:

Seattle Sister said...

Sarah is working so far below her qualification level that she does not fully realize that one of the jobs of the office Admin is to be an endless source of portable office supplies to those lazy sots who share office space with you. Go to the supply room and grab extra pens, mechanical pencils, highlighters, post-its, etc, and store them in plain sight on your desk - in an attractive cup or holder of some kind - and then put the things you want to use for your own daily important usage into a drawer (preferrably UNDER something) and keep them there. It won't STOP the pillaging, but it will reduce heartbreak and annoyance. At least they don't make you keep candy on your desk, do they? I was required to keep candy on my desk at my last job, and it just made me distracted and fat. Er.

PS - Running skirt? ...? Cheerlead much lately? I'm gonna need a photo, here.

Ramsey said...

I wish I could be a member of your club. Running and me just don't get along. I enjoy walking though. If only I had the energy to do it in the morning.

Your post has made me realize how much I suck. Geeze, thanks Timms.

Becky Youkstetter said...

Way to go you! I wish I could get out of bed and be super productive like you. I really do!

Um the shopping cart thing is my mom's (and one of my) biggest pet peeves. It's true.

Robin said...

Pen thieves! Boo. (And I too hate those shopping carts abandoners.)

Way to be in a cool club. I think you should make t-shirts for sure.

Kirin said...

in defense of the cart abandoners, (i really try to return them i do) but sometimes once you get two kids in the car and you see how FAR away the return stall is, or that there isn't one at all, your like, i don't want to just leave my kids in the car and i know it isn't THAT far, but they are my babies and sometimes it is hot and sometimes there are weird people about and i know i should do better, so thanks for the reminder, and for the few times i do abandon, i'm sorry people. feel free to judge, i am guilty...

Meili said...

This is so true. It's ABSOLUTELY a club! This Saturday, I was running on Wasatch, aka land of the bikers. As a herd of 10 bikers came at me, I was a little nervous because it was a narrow shoulder. But then the lead biker yelled, "Runner! Runner!" and waved his herd over to single file. Then they all hollered and pumped their fists as I ran by. I've never felt more like a rockstar. I was like, "Yes! I am a runner! Woot!"

Mindy Curtis said...

What are you training for? I'm so happy that you love your club so much and they motivate you. I know the feelings exactly of picking up the pace or correcting your posture when you pass a fellow runner. Congrats on your training and progress. :)

I have in the past been a member of your early morning club, and maybe again in the future. But while I am semi-employed and have many free days I am now a member of the "going to the gym and running in middle of the work day club." There are a lot of elderly, odd, and even creepy people in my club. We are our own breed. There is just zero motivation to get up early and work out when you have nothing to do the rest of the day.