Tuesday, April 6, 2010

One Whiff, and You're There...

we have a soap in our office called "midnight pommegranate" and it smells like a gerbel's cage when wearing it.  I'm sure the nice people at Bath and Body Works didn't think "hey let's make a gerbil's cage smell!" and I'm sure nobody said "ooh, this smells lovely.  Like a freshly cleaned gerbil's cage. Let's buy the whole collection."  And so I can assume it doesn't really smell like that to everyone.  And it doesn't smell horrible to me, either... unless someone is wearing it.  And then... Gerbils.  (clean gerbil cages, though...)


I've been thinking about this for weeks now whenever someone washes their hands with it (luckily we have TWO soaps in the bathroom, so I've stopped using), and it's funny how smells make you think different things.

Georgia is currently covered in pollen.  It's true.  There was a front page article about it in the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. That's right.  Top Story.  (thriving metropolis)



But, for reals, it's horrible.
If you notice... yes, you have to use your windshield wipers to see stuff.

AND... the pollen smells like the zoo.

Okay, that's not totally true.  But the squeegie to wipe it off totally does.

Blame the fact that people here have... umm... zoos in their back yard?  I have no idea, but I was washing my car windshield the other day and thought "Hogle Zoo."  And then my windshield smelled like it too.  I thought of how much I like the giraffes, but didn't like being stuck in there when we had to fill out paperwork about the zoo in 6th grade zoo day.  And about how sad I am that the hippos are gone now.  And about how I refuse to eat meat products purchased at the zoo (just in case).  But now my windshield is all yellow and normal-smelley again, so no more funky penguin smell.  (not that I don't like penguins.)

what was I saying?  Ooh yes, smells.  They bring back emotions.


"What are you doing?"
"Making a memory."
"Making a memory?"
"All my life, when I am quite grown-up, I will think back and remember how my Grandfather always smelled of pepermint and tobacco."  - The Parent Trap  (and that's the grandpa from The Parent Trap.  Isn't he dreamy?)

I found an old Lip Smackers and was transported back to Sr. Year of High School the other day.  I wore the perfume I wore on my wedding to a social last week (Falling in Love by Philosophy).  My husband's face wash makes me sleepy. I made a ham this week for the first time ever (more to come on that soon) and it smelled like homw.

Smells transport us to different times and places.  Some bad like a gerbil, and some good like your first kiss. 

So try smelling around this week, and see where you'll go.  You only have 5 sences in this world (unless you're lucky) so you should really use all of them.

5 comments:

LemonDrop Creative | Ashley said...

I love you. And this post. And it's funny... I quite like the smell of Midnight Pomegranate. Maybe Georgia makes it smell like Gerbils...? At any rate, I made some spice cake on Sunday and it made me think of Thanksgiving time back in the 90s. :)

Kelli said...

I gotta admit...I enjoy Midnight Pomegranate! We had the candle & I really liked it but when I got the soap it took a couples days for it to grow on me.

The smell of Nilla Waffers always make me think of my grandma.

Ashes said...

I have the same problem with the zoo frying up burgers... really? meat? at the zoo? sick!

sometimes I run into older ladies that smell like my preschool teacher... really weird, and i could never sniff it out in a particular lotion/purfume, but when i smell it on some ladies i am 4 again. I love that!

Alexie said...

So apparently I don't have a great sense of smell. Curtis and my children, on the other hand, have developed this as their Super Sense. So I'm a little sad that I miss out on some good smell-induced memories. And... really happy that I've missed out on many others, mostly ranky.

Kim Crist said...

Is it sad that I knew exactly where "making a memory" came from before reading the explanation? :) That was one of our memorized by heart movies. :) Scent can be a wonderful thing though. I think one of my favorites is freshly baked bread. And the smell of the ginger frying as I make Chinese. That is difficult to replicate with anything else.