Friday, March 26, 2010

always look on the bright side of life (do do, do do do do do do)

Dear friends,
When I am at work and have no time for things like "blogging" I have nothing but blog ideas.  Most of them are angry, or talk about things I dislike.  Sometimes about Georgia (when it's humid I either need a jacket or am sweating profusely), sometimes about the South (the name "La-A" is pronounced "Ladasha"), sometimes about life in general (how is it that I wore 4 shades of blue yesterday, and everything except my blue button-down shirt was from the Gap?), and sometimes about the Army (the worst thing about my husband being gone this week is that I can't call or text him, even to get a word in about what I'm thinking, or he's thinking.  It's infuriating. I actually sent him a voicemail TO HIS PHONE ON THE COUNTER the other day.)

But when I'm home, I'm happier.  All the little annoyances that seemed like the end of the world are gone, and I am content to be with my dog, find some friends, and enjoy my life (small though it is right now).  So, what does that make my blogs, besides sparce?


I want to be a more positive person.  It's true, I send at least one email a week with the phrase "I hate everything" written somewhere in it (thanks, Becky), but overall, I'm trying to be more positive.  This started about a month ago when I was asked to join a research study for a Notre Dame student who would send me reminders every day that said "try to remember to try to be happier today.  Focus on what you do to accomplish this."



Friends, it. was. amazing.  I did almost nothing differently.  I still went to work, I still had to clean my bathroom, I still woke up with an alarm every morning... but I felt different.  For that week of the reminder emails, I felt happier.  I simply said to myself every day "I am going to take things with a positive spin on them" and then, as if it was magic... my life began falling into place.

I found more friends I could talk to.  I felt more secure in my goals for Georgia.  I was happier with my husband being in the Army.  I found my way to the gym (WHAT!).



It's been over a month since I stopped getting those emails.  I know because I got the 1-month follow-up email this week.  Life hasn't been going so smoothly without the reminder.  I'm quicker to get offended, I have a less-positive view on stupid Georgia.

Today I had to start thinking: what would my shoulder angel do? (because obviously my shoulder devil has taken hold of my life and has only given the angel a shoulder to live on.)  And apparently my shoulder angel is a very positive little angel-person.  She likes children and smelly dogs, believes that people can drive accident-free in the snow and doesn't care if her high school nemesis is attractive (now... 10 years later).

So, let this post be a reminder to us all to try to remember to be happier today.

And don't judge me when my next blog talks about something else I hate.  Like how it smells like swamps when it rains here...

For a dive onto the "positive" side of life... a few randoms.

this little guy... is my 8 year old nephew Jakob.  Weren't his chubby little arms adorable?
This is me and one of the senior spouses at the Sr. Spouse Social that the "Junior Spouses" put on.  It was a WONDERFUL chance to talk about this totally unexpected and different life.  We had a wine (and sparkling beverage) tasting.
Also, the food was beautiful.

4 comments:

Ramsey said...

I love this post. Can you add to your list of things to be happy about that you're amazing beautiful?! Holy beauty batman! I'm 100% jealous of your awesome hair.

Seattleite of love said...

I second Ramsey's comments - and may I add that in the "Senior Spouses" photo, you are ROCKING that awesome frock? Adorable. Plus, James loves you. Never forget it! Oh, AND - the "word verification" word I have to type to post this comment is "deariest." !!! How appropriate is that, I ask you?!

Robin said...

You could also add that there are a billion people who miss you and think you are great. :)

Alexie said...

ok, i don't know what that little treat at the bottom of the food picture is (raspberries, cream, chocoltae?) but i want them now and am planning to create them this sunday for easter.