Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Savannah blog.

This is it.  The new season of Sarah's blog is starting.  Sure, nobody knew that last post was a season finale (and what a bad way to go out).  But now we're back, and there are travel pictures!!!  So let's get started.

In less than a month, my mother is coming to visit.  Can I TELL you how excited this makes me?  Probably not.  Because I can not find the words to express adequately the joy and sense of balance in the world this gives to me.

Now as you all probably know, I live in Georgia currently.  In Georgia’s third largest city called “Columbus.”  It’s a magical land where you really have to hunt for non-chain restaurants, and if you don’t go at least 4 freeway exits from the army base, you will wind up passing streets full of pawn shops, cheap divorces, tattoos and dancing girls.  Don’t get me wrong, there are also beautiful houses, quaint brick-paved streets and fantastic BBQ joints (if you look hard enough).   I’m really starting to see the beauty in this city – even though it’s taken almost 6 months.  Another Columbus-factoid… Columbus is also a good 4 hours or so away from Savannah.

But it should surprise no one who knows my mother that she mentioned, in the same breath as her trip to see me, that she would like to see Savannah.

Luckily I LOVE SAVANNAH!  I went there a couple of weeks ago for corporate training for work and fell IN. LOVE.  It’s just so… so… so very.  Well, it’s just so darn cute.  And historic.  And they have great food.  And it’s near water.  (and that’s the quad-fecta of awesome vacation necessities for Sarahs.)


THIS is where I got out of my car for the first time.  HELLO, adorable square.  And the city is set-up to have adorable squares ALL OVER!  Although Philly will tell you differently, Savannah was the first planned city in America.  And hats off to you, General James Edward Oglethorpe.  Well-planned, sir.

Well, tragically after the first adorable square, I went into work (WHAT?) but even in the office there were still pretty things to be seen.

What… if that were my view I might never get anything done.  

So what do you do, faithful readers, if you would like to come to Savannah?  Where will you start your planning?  Are there helpful hints?  Luckily, I will give you fabulous travel tips based off of almost no experience.  I hope you all learn a lot.  I know you will all be going in hordes soon (as will I).
TIP THE FIRST:
Are you a little hungry?  Do you want something sweet?  Would you like to eat something that was made in the last 2 hours?  What about something uniquely Southern?  Well, I guess you want a praline.  Downside: Pralines are about $12 a pound.  UPSIDE: If you walk into any candy store (of which there are 4 on the riverwalk) you will get a free sample.  

Add up all those samples, and you aren't even going to want a full, and paid-for praline.  You'll be happily full and happily sugared.  Hooray for free.  Hooray for straight sugar.

TIP THE SECOND:
Savannah is freaking haunted.  Apparently there's some "savannah is haunted book" called "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" or something like that.  I think you should read it before you go to Savannah because people are talking about it all over.  Don't have time to read?  Illiterate?  Not to worry friends, it's also a movie starring John Cusack, who I have loved since "Better Off Dead."  We'll watch it before we go next time and be able to sit with all the cool kids at lunch.

TIP THE SECOND 2: 
Savannah is freaking haunted.  Don't walk around at night by yourself, or you could freak yourself RIGHT out.
Scary, right?  Haunted, right?  Also, LARGE steps to get to the water.

(turn your head)

TRAVEL TIP THE THIRD:
Bring your dog.
There are dogs all over.  This one is being washed in the street.  Others were sitting at cafe tables nicely.  And still others were sniffing around the squares.  ADORABLE!  If you, like me, were thinking you would kennel your dog and go... DON'T!  Bring your pup along!

TRAVEL TIP THE FINAL:
With streets this cute, you need to wear shoes you can walk in.  I mean, how cute IS this?  (very.)

Alright, I hope we all get to go to Savannah soon.  As you can see... it's fantastic.  And I can't wait.  Plus, there might be my mom. :)

6 comments:

Kelli said...

I want to go to there!

Meili said...

I would LOVE to visit Savannah someday. And I have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I recommend it. There's voodoo in it, and a freaky, funny transvestite man/woman. (In the movie, she plays herself!)

Ramsey said...

My husband loves when he gets to travel to Savannah! It's one of his favorite cities. We're thinking of planning a trip there this year. Awesome post Timms :)

Becky Youkstetter said...

This is SO CUTE!

Sweetless in Seattle said...

Whoa... nice season opener. I mean, it has everything, doesn't it? Love, intrigue, photos, and a hot link. (Readers, if you have NOT clicked the hot link, I urge you to do so - this guy lived a life that has to be read to be believed.) Plus, pralines! I'd cross the street just for the pralines. Sugar and butter and nuts - and by that I mean the best kind of nuts, the Pecan. Pronounced strangely in the south, i would not be surprised to learn that Pecans themselves are comprised entirely of sugar and butter. They're that yummy. So this blog is touching me on a deeply personal "hunger" level.

Note from friend who has seen the movie - please do self a favor and read the book, as movie is full of improvised dialogue (only works for Christopher Guest and co.) whereas reading a spooky book is good for your brain and can torment you to the brink of madness. Honestly now, when was the last time you visited the brink of madness? For many of us, it's been since high school.

MoonGarden said...

oh, my goodness! I love those trees!

You are right, Savanah is cuteness personified and all rolled up into a city.

I DO want to go there now. Evil temptress = you.

Marilyn

PS I hope you are finding your smile in Georgia. Miss you!