Last night, Matt and I watched Marley and Me. I’m not sure if any of you have seen that movie, but I was OBVIOUSLY crying like a baby. And sitting on the floor with my dog since he isn’t allowed on any furniture (couches, beds, etc) holding him and petting him through the entire second-half of that movie. I am willing to bet that dogs love that movie. Not only because it shows a wonderful story of a dog. And not only because they get a floor-cuddle while we’re watching it. But also, it stays with you. For example, the dog got a wonderful outing to the dog park after the movie (even though I was supposed to be making dinner). The feeling of wanting to be there for your dog just lingers.
This morning, I had a rare treat. I had a warm cuddle all through a loud, bright and down-pour thunderstorm.
As I awoke at 4:50-something to the familiar feeling of Matt getting out of bed, I tried hard to go back to sleep. As I was lying there, I heard it start to rain. Not a big deal, it wasn’t raining hard, it was just a light pitter-pat. “Sucks for Matt,” I thought. “He has to be out in the field all week long. Looks like he’ll be lying in mud.”
Minutes later, it was a fully-formed thunderstorm. The bright flash of lightning could be seen despite the blinds AND curtains being closed, and the thunder shook the house.
Obviously, I thought of Marley and Me and how scared that cute lab was of thunderstorms. Surely my cute lab would also be scared, and I should go save him.
As I opened the door to the living room (where the dog sleeps) I was not greeted by a dog lying on his bed, half asleep and wondering why I was waking him up so early (as is what usually happens any time I’m awake before 7). Instead a rush of fur brushed past my legs and the click-clack of dog nails on horrible 1960s tile went down the hall.
I followed the noise and fell back into bed. It wasn’t 10 seconds before a wet nose was trying to get me to pet him. I agreed for a minute or so, but when I re-adjusted to a more comfortable position the dog was abandoned.
For the first time ever, Barney jumped up on the bed. Instead of doing what I should have and gotten him down, I thought of poor Marley and how scared he was of thunderstorms and how I should comfort my dog in this – his hour of need. I told Barney to lay down and we’d cuddle. And it was nice to do something nice for my dog.
10 minutes later the dog had 2/3 of the bed on his side, and was still pressed up next to me. My arm was asleep from a large dog-head wresting on it and the right half of my body was warm from a warm puppy sleeping with me.
Matt may or may not have mentioned something about changing the sheets before he gets back on Friday and not to teach him any bad habbits as he kissed me goodbye on his way out to run in the rain for a week.
It was nice to get such a close and devoted cuddle in the morning.
Happy Rainey Day AND Monday, friends.

1 comment:
Barney asked me to give you his Movie List for the rest of the week:
My Life as a Dog
Lassie
Snoopy Come Home
The Adventures of Rin-Tin-Tin
The Littlest Hobo
Turner and Hooch
Benji the Hunted
The Incredible Journey
K-9
Beethoven (just the first 2)
Old Yeller
Air Bud
Best In Show
Dog Day Afternoon
The Truth about Cats and Dogs
Dogma
(and)
The Good Shepherd
He also wants you to know he enjoys Liver Snaps and that he'll be needing a hypoallergenic pillow from here forward.
What a great week you'll be having! Woof! I mean, Whee!
Enjoy that damp dog smell.
Post a Comment