Friends, I have turned on the world's most perfect Christmas Album... John Denver and the Muppets - A Christmas Together to create another famous Sarah-blog. (and now I have turned said Christmas Album OFF because although WORK gets done faster if I listen to awesome things, insparation for creative GENIOUS does not. I just wanted to blog about birds in trees and five gold rings {ba dum dum dum}.)
On the list of things that actually mean something to me, this is on there. Sure, if there were no hot chocolate I'd be sad. And if there were no fudge cookies or snow I would complain... but without this album Christmas would be lost to me. Through the years we've owned this album on vinyl, tape and CD. I've acted out "Christmas Is Coming" in my living room, and sat and pondered about Alphie, the Christmas Tree that just didn't want to change the show. And now you can watch the entire Christmas special (complete with some very lame songs not included on the album, and some very awesome choreogrophy... and the most touching man/frog moment possibly ever recorded) on YouTube.
The my adult-favorite song (a small clip of it can be heard just to your right) is sung by Ralph the dog and John Denver.
Link to the best song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWOvHqW3Nsg
Picture of best song being sung in case you can't bring yourself to click the above AMAZING link...
As I was wondering if I were going to go home this year for Christmas, I started listening to my Christmas mix on the old iPod. It was full of Bing Crosby (Best Christmas Singer), Kirstin Chenoweth (Newest Album Addition) and two versions of "All I Want for Christmas is You" (Best Feel Good Song). Although, be be honest, it's mostly oldies. Anywho, so as I'm listening to the playlist, thinking about life and making cookies (delish, BTW) I realized that there are more songs out there about going home than about the baby Jesus.
{Sure, maybe it's just my particular playlist, but considering the people singing on that playlist, I'm going to assume this has been a problem for a while. But as a note... the point of this blog isn't to say "Let's get more CHRIST in CHRISTmas" (although we should) it isn't to ask for more songs for an expanded playlist next year (but send them my way), or to try to get more copies of "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together" sold. (maybe we can start a revolution)}
What I did realize is that Christmas (as John Denver said) "is more than a special time, much more than a special day. Much more than a beautiful story - it was a special kind of way." It's the way of thinking more about what other people want than what you do. It's the way of anticipation. It's the way of sparkly lights everywhere and child-like wonder. It's the way of wanting to be with the people who mean the very most to you. It's the way of dreaming of a better place. And, yes, it's the way of chopping down perfectly good trees to put them inside your house like a crazy person.

3 comments:
"Once a year, the street I live on, sparkles like the sky. All hung with lights for Christmas - twinkling everywhere. The world turns bright for Christmas. And if that isn't a true blue miracle, I don't know what one is."
Sigh...
Would it hurt you to hear I've never heard the John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album? Muppets 3D is my favorite ride of all time yet I've never heard that album. I feel like my life is not complete.
Nice blog. Christmas is not as much about opening our presents as opening our hearts. I was unaware of John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album. Your blog looks great
Post a Comment