Thursday, August 4, 2011

Oucha magoucha

I'm sure you all forgot about it, but it's time for the most random blog-segment: I do not think this word means what you think it means. Where we take definitions of words, and see how Sarah uses them.
 

Yes, Hello Mandy... glad you could join us.  You were just wonderful in the Sondheim Birthday Celebration, by the way... (and if you haven't seen it and own Netflix, it's on demand and worth your time).

Today's word is: Ouch.

General knowledge says that "ouch" is an exclamation of sharp, sudden pain.  (actually that is dictionary.com, not general knowledge for that one...) 

Let's see how Sarah uses it:
"Ouch that burned my feet" (it is very hot here, even looking at the sidewalk wrong can burn your feet)

also "Ouch, I dropped my keys."

Or, my favorite, *someone starts tickling Sarah* "Ouch, don't do that."

Looks like being the youngest of five children has lead me to believe instinctively if I say "Ouch" that someone will stop doing something.  Or that whatever has just happened will stop.  Yup... I do not think this word means what you think it means.

Preach, Dread Pirate Patinkin.  Preach.

1 comment:

Seattle Sister said...

Also as in "Ouch, I forgot to get milk at the grocery store" and or "Ouch that eyeliner is the WRONG color."

Wait - so I'm NOT supposed to be learning how to use words wrong? ...Too late.