Thursday, March 31, 2011

I'm magic (no one can see me)

It used to be that if you couldn't explain something - it was magic.  It seems a good catch-all.  (Not unlike the idea that if something happened, it must be due to the gods unhappiness/happiness.  "Why was there a lightning storm?  Zeus must have been unhappy about that party last night...").  Magic, I am told, was a thing feared by many to be the "devil's work."  Nowadays, most of that "magic" I'm going to call "science."


I don't understand science.  Not even a little.  (somewhere my honors chemistry teacher just lost his wings... yup, Hummer had wings until about 5 minutes ago.) 

How is it, for example, that I got blood drawn from my arm, and they told me my pancreas was inflamed?  How does the blood know?  How does my arm know?  And how do the magicians know how to understand what my blood is saying.  Generally when I see blood I assume it's telling me "ouch."  That's the only word I thought blood knew.  Apparently I was wrong.  Apparently it has an extensive vocabulary and knows phrases like "I'm doing mostly alright, but that pancreas seems to be having some issues and swelling.  If we could take a look at that soon, I would greatly appreciate it." 

Once I watched a show that was a disturbing children's program that we watched sometimes instead of "Music Machine" where a dude (Mr. Body?  Or is that just Clue?) dressed in a spandex onesie had organs on one side, and bones on the other. 

He sang and danced and generally had frizzy hair and told us about our organs.  (the Internet tells me his name is Slim Goodbody.  HOW COULD I FORGET THAT!?!?!)  All this tangent to tell me... I feel lied to by Slim (if that is his real name)... he sang and danced and taught me all kinds of facts.  But clearly nothing as exciting as "your blood knows lots more words than "ouch."  You just gotta be magic to hear what its saying."

So, to the magic people out there: good job.  Way to figure out that whole special language. 
To everyone else: isn't magic fun???

3 comments:

Tara said...

Magic is fun, but picturing Hummer with wings - priceless!

Meili said...

I loved that Slim Goodbody guy, although I didn't remember his name either. Sorry about your dumb pancreas.

Random Sister said...

"We ate Pancreas!"
--Ferris Bueller