Today I saw a grown woman duck into shrubs at a golf course to pee. I saw a woman pose with Kurt Bestor and then say "I guess I can go home now." I saw people cheering each other as they were passed... in short, today was the Wasatch Women's "Love Your Body" 6K/10K at Thanksgiving Pointe.
Now, first of all... for all the blogging in the world I do about it, I haven't actually run in a while. In fact, last Sunday I hit 3.1 miles (5K) and thought "that's it. I can do no more. I will just walk the last K next week." See? In Georgia I was on this great running plan. I even had running (or at least "sprinting days" friends), I had Matt to hold me accountable, and I had a training plan up on the fridge I checked off when I did something... but then I moved. To Tennessee. And I didn't like running. I no longer lived in a great place for it (I ran past CORN, which is the ultimate in "SERIOUSLY??" because you feel like you're going nowhere). And apart from that hill running I would do at Dunbar Caves, I made a pretty poor showing of it. And then when I moved to Utah... well, the altitude got me. And lack of motivation. And the 10 lbs I gained "pre-deployment" that were weighing me down.
Sufficient to say... I didn't feel ready for this race. I really and truly was prepared to walk for what would probably turn into the last mile , or I was prepared to die. Either one, actually. And, to top it off, registration closed before my sister-in-law (who told me about the race) could register, so it was just ANOTHER in a long list of things I was doing alone. All alone. With no husband to support me like he did at the last 5K. No parents to take my picture and say "look what you did!" and no friendly face to hold my keys while I ran.
So I decided not to run. I mean, it's Friday night, I'm all alone reading "The Hunger Games" (teriffic, BTW), and I just can't do it anymore. I can't show up to one more event without a husband or people. And then I show up and - what - fail? Not even be able to run the whole way while pregnant women pushing double strollers up hill are passing me? No thanks.
But I went anyway. Maybe it was my sense of pride. Maybe it was not wanting to have to tell Matt that I didn't do it. Maybe it was that I already had the shirt and wanted to wear it without questions (it's a surprisingly cute race shirt). But Saturday morning came, the dog was walked, the moisture-wicking shirt donned, and I left for Thanksgiving Pointe.
I took pictures of myself, because I NEED no other people to take pictures of me.
I ran past THIS:
AND This:
And This:
And walked for 30 seconds (that's all I'd give myself) somewhere between the bottom and the top of this picture:
And in the end... I was elated. In fact, I know I show a awfully lot of ugly pictures of me on this blog, but here's another. I did not die. Minus the 30 seconds of horrifying hill, I didn't even walk. (In fact, my race time was about 38 minutes, which is amazing for me to run almost 4 miles.) I was helpful to my other runners (encouraging, insightful, knowledgeable because I have my husband's GPS watch which is magic). And, yes, I did get passed by that pregnant woman pushing the double stroller up a hill. But I carried on anyway. I can do hard things. All by myself if I have to. Because that is exactly how awesome I am.





11 comments:
Way to go! great pics
I would have totally come and watched you! That is minus the husband stuck in a hospital... but other than that, I would have loved to be there. Oh, and I don't think the picture is bad at all.
Yay for you girl! I'm impressed totally....and a little sad about the "all alone" part of the story. You did a terrific job and I bet it will feel good to tell Matt all about it. Love and prayers!
i'm with lexy, i would have come and watched and cheered you on, heck i speak for all the princesses, next time you need banners and a cheering squad you let us know!
as for you do hard things, umm ya, that is why wimpy me looks up to you :)
and ps to post this i have to type a word verification word and it is "oucha!" i think that pretty much sums it up :)
I am 100% proud of you! Once you live out of state and away from family for awhile, you can conquer anything.
You're my favorite red headed lady. :)
Miss Sarah, I want to know about your race next time so I can come cheer you on and hold your keys. You are AWESOME!
I'm a proud friend! Bravo, Sarah!
Seriously, you CAN do hard things by yourself, but you don't have to. Thanksgiving Point is like 15 minutes away from me. Crazy girl... call us! We'd come hold your keys.
You are fantastic! I am totally impressed you went ahead and ran even though you didn't want to. It is hard doing things by yourself... but now you know you can if you have to! Way to go!
You ran past Pretty! You ran past Awesome! You ran all the way to Sarah is Pretty Awesome!
(That might sound kind of lame, but I looked it up in the New England Journal of Medicine, so I know it's true.)
Also, love the new "autumnal" look of Tiny Adventures! Thumbs up from a rainy place.
Princesses Rule!
What the what?! Are those places in Utah?
Post a Comment