Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I just care about pretty....

I have had, shall we say, an unfortunate wardrobe this week. Partly to do with the idea that I haven't had to wear dress-pants-level clothing for almost a year, and partly to do with the fact that everything I own has been in a box for months and so needs ironing (and ironing and I don't get along), and partly because I just don't care enough. Yesterday, for example, I put on brown dress pants (cute), a tank (whatever) and a cute tan swing jacket. OOH, and new brown shoes with feathers on the trim (don't judge until you've seen them. They're adorable). But when I got to work I noticed my pants had suddenly become a greyish brown, my shoes a shiny tan, and my jacket somehow turned kacki colored. I swear I didn't look like such a mess when I got dressed, but in the light? All the gay men I know would be shocked/appalled to have seen it. I walked around all day thinking "don't look at me.  I am aware my pants and jacket don't match.  I am sorry.  Don't judge me."  And worse? ... it's been like that all week. (I'm not going to fill you in on the entire Monday ugly, but let's just say I bought my skirt at Wal-Mart, and it has a stretch waistband and I'll leave you to fill in details.)

Today, I decided I would be different. I woke up (almost) on time. I ironed. I wore a J-crew dress-shirt (because button-up shirts look best on me - I just never iron). I even wore the cute steve maddens that are high enough to make my legs look like I haven't been neglecting my running (and me with a 6K next weekend. COME ON!). And I wore a skirt (that had to be ironed!) I was looking more than moderate. I was looking like I cared.

Got to work, nobody was here, but I felt productive, empowered, tall. A couple people trickled in (did they notice that I wasn't fashion roadkill today? hopefully!). I started working, and noticed I hadn't brought my snack. So I ate some of the home-grown grapes a co-worker brought in. I don't know what it is about home grown grapes that makes me SO happy, but I can not say enough good things about them. Until I dropped one. Yup, and normally this isn't a noteworthy event (have you MET ME? I drop things. All the time. I am about the messiest/clumsiest person out there.) but today I tried to catch said dropped grape before it hit the floor - thus jamming it into my shirt, breaking the grape so its juice makes a large spot on my shirt, and STILL allowing it to hit the floor.

good fashion day RUINED. ooh well, at least my hair looks cute (until about 2:30 when it will inevitably go into a ponytail...).

1 comment:

seattle sister said...

Poor Sarah - a victim of Evil Gravity and of Evil Lighting, both in the same office! Consider getting some candy and doing an Offica Aura Cleanse. If this doesn't work, stop trying to mix neutrals until the lighting can be better understood, or lampooned with additional non-flourescent lamps.