So I finished getting ready for bed, laid down and tried to fall asleep.
... they say there are three sides to every story - what he said, what she said and the truth (which is probably in the middle). There are three sides to the story of what happened next, but only because there were three people (including dog-people) there. (NOTE: these are all by me, so I can't say that's VERBATIM what happened, but after talking to people in the after-math, it's pretty close.)
![]() |
| One of Barney's favorite ways to lay. On shoes, on his back. Being funny. |
I was just layin. It was bedtime so we went for a walk (but Sarah didn't let me claim everything as mine, and that wasn't nice). Nobody gives me food after the nighttime walk - it's pretty sad too. But Matt and Sarah both petted me before they went to sleep (have to stock-up for all night) so I layed down on my fluffy bed. It's pretty nice, but I'd like to sleep with Matt and Sarah so they could pet me all night long. I know they could... they just don't want to. So I'm layin. and almost about to close my little dog eyes for the night and dream about catching that squirrel, when there's a noise like a monster, and a scream and hysterical crying! I ran from Matt (no help), to Sarah (crying), to Matt (no help again), to Sarah (who finally petted me). And I'm not sure what happened, but it's a good thing I'm here to protect them from that kind of thing.
The "Rational Side": (by Matt)
Sarah was being ridiculous again and wanted to go to Disneyland, or get a pet pig or something stupid like that, so I was being super clever and pretended to go to sleep. And I was trying to sleep, but for some reason I couldn't (I guess it was the nap). So, I notice Sarah get into bed, and after a while, she rolled over so her hand was on my arm. And I thought (who wouldn't think?) it would be funny if I scared her. And it was pretty great, she screamed (which was funny, plus the dog put his little dog nose on my arm to see what was going on), but then she immediately started crying. Not just crying, but the kind of projectile tears where I know it wasn't just her over-analyzing something (which happens a lot), but it was something else. Why? Did I hurt her when I was being a monster? Man, this crying just won't let up - what is WRONG? Did someone just die while I was pretending to sleep? I knew I should be compassionate, but I just kept laughing. And as soon as she stopped crying I said "what was that?" and she said "I don't know." Typical. Ooh well, at least now I can get some sleep.
The totally-honest side you have to believe because it's my blog (by Sarah):
So, obviously Matt doesn't want to talk about Disneyland/Pet psychiatrists/new dog. That's fine. Just wash my face and get in bed. And I did. But then I forgot to pray, so I'll just do that laying in bed too. Gosh, there are a lot of things to be thankful for... and a lot of people that really need looking after. In fact, life is really short and we should be thankful for the time we have and not waste it feeling sorry for ourselves because we have no friends within a thousand miles. In a moment, your whole life can be turned upside down. Like in a car crash, or an army-issue (which I refuse to talk about further), or just a mis-step going to your car in the morning. umm.... okay, I am not going to lay in bed and cry, so this is me not crying. and not crying... and thinking about something else. I guess I'll cuddle up with Matt a little bit and see if that helps.
AAAAAHHHH!!!! HE SCARED ME AGA - ooh no, now I'm crying. Crying like my whole world is upside down and I don't know why. Crying like my friend's husband just got hurt in a car accident and it made me realize life can change in a moment. Crying like I have no friends and so don't have people to let this all out to, and it just sits here. and I can't stop. I can't stop crying! (this will make a fantastic blog) Stupid Matt for scaring me, and waking up the dog (where is he? I will comfort him to make him feel better).
so that's what happened. It's the curious incident of the bump in the night. also known as: remember when Matt was a jerk (or) remember when it was so hilarious that you cried when I scared you?



4 comments:
You were right, I did laugh at you... with you? I can't wait til you are close and we can eat ice cream, or Rio, or FireHouse or whatever we want.
I am glad that I am not the only one who needs to talk about Disneyland and other important matters before they go to sleep at night.
So once upon a time I had a similarish story. A few months after we were married, I was peacefully drifting off into dreamland when my husband pinched me. I scream. He sits straight up and is annoyed that I woke HIM up. No recollection of pinching me. The nerve.
You're fantastic and I totally believe your side. I am sorry you had to cry. No one should ever have to cry or be hurt ever again. I decide.
This post moved me deeply. I laughed, and then I cried.
You are a good writer, says your favorite Bro In Law. Yes, agrees your Sister.
I love you.
PS - Disneyland for James' birthday this winter? We think so!
Post a Comment