Tuesday, August 10, 2010

food, glorious food!!!

Today as I spoke to my mother on the phone, she mentioned that she had made fudge cookies to take to a family home evening group.  FUDGE COOKIES?  Is it Christmas and I was unaware?  This must be the truth because obviously there is no reason fudge cookies would be made for a season other than Christmas.

Well that got me thinking about foods that I miss.  I'm consistently amazed how many times I plan my life, my vacations and my workout schedule (if I workout, the bowl of ice cream can be larger) around food.  It's true.  I spend the most money on it.  When going on vacation, I look up where to eat instead of what to do.

Some people around me claim this is backwards... that I should plan my life and not literally spend money on something that I'm going to poop later.  I get that.  But what about a food experience is there not to love?  Fun joints, good smells, good eats and good times.  Well... hopefully.

In my moving-travels, I've recently found myself pining for places I used to be able to get to every day.  Most of these are places I've blogged about.  If I haven't blogged about it, maybe you should have started reading the blog earlier.  Or maybe I've expanded my food-obsession,

So.... without further adieu, and because I'm in that kind of a mood, I offer for your review a list of restaurants in Utah I miss terribly.




  • The waffle place. Who didn’t see that coming? I blogged about him all the time. And then Man vs. Food went there, and you all know how I am a sucker for all things Travel Channel.  And, to add insult to injury, I’m just one more waffle away from a free one on my frequent-waffle card. *sigh*


     

  • Snowasis. Also appeared on a blog once upon a time… and I have to say: if you don’t have a Snowasis how do you know it’s summer? (ooh, I know. How about it’s 80 degrees with 80% humidity when you go outside at 6am) The finely-shaved ice… the cream… the perpetually ridiculously long line full of snobby high school students… It’s bliss.



  • Café Rio. I’d like a pork salad, black beans, shredded lettuce, no guac, tomatillo dressing and easy on the tort strips. STAT!




  • The Lion House. Stop laughing, I worked across the street from there, and they are wonderful. Even if I am convinced that house is haunted (with ghosts of failed wedding lunches). Mmm… Lion House Rolls with Honey Butter. (you want one too now… don’t you?)


  • Citrus Grill. I can’t believe I avoided it so long. I guess it’s because I hadn’t eaten the risotto cakes! HOLY CRAP, risotto cakes are amazing.


    • additionally, I would like to say that i also miss FIREHOUSE SUBS, which is NOT in Utah, but IS a delicious chain selling premium meats, steamed and put in warm bread with yummy and straight-forward toppings.   It has made my once-love of Subway turn into an all-out avoidance of the entire chain.  Well, that and one too many "pickles" that were actually hot peppers.  jerks.

    Alright, my mouth is watering.   I've got to get out of here and find something to counter-act that with.

    Enjoy the places you love while you're near them, you never know when you might move somewhere and suddenly be far away from them.

    (Honorable mentions I've thought of as I was finding pictures: sushi place with the green apple teriyaki sauce whose name I might have forgotten... Oh, Sushi?, Moca Salsa (respect your ghetto Mexican places), Harmon's Salad Bar (it's awesome even though it's a grocery store), and THE PIE.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to double check the firehouse subs! It's in Sandy with more locations on the way!

Love their hot sauce!

http://www.firehousesubs.com

Ramsey said...

I adore Moca Salsa! I ate there twice while I was on vacation. Oh and I found a Firehouse Subs place down here. I guess it's time to try it out.

Kim Crist said...

Lou and I just ate at Firehouse Subs here in Columbus two days ago....ahhhhh. Don't they have the best bread? Love that place. :)

Becky Youkstetter said...

I concur - I am really missing our risotto cakes from Citrus Grill right now.

Elisha said...

It's true, I ate at Firehouse subs for the first time just last week! DELICIOUS!! When you come home we will eat there.

Starving in Seattle said...

Why can't I have a Chick Fil A in Seattle, WHY?? Also, I'd like a Frozen Custard (you know where on Highland Drive) and a chocolate dipped waffle. Pretty much in that order.

And a Fudge Cookie, since apparently it's Christmas.

Mindy Curtis said...

Great list! Since moving out of Utah I often experience Cafe Rio salad withdrawls...