Friday, December 7, 2012

twinkle, twinkle

I... umm... judge things.   Things I have no business judging and should just be happy they are there, instead of talking about how I feel about them.  For readers of this blog, this shouldn't be a surprise.  However, for anyone new to the Tiny Adventures of me... it's a thing I do.  And I can't stop myself.

I love when people decorate the outside of their house for Christmas.  I don't love doing it personally, but I do enjoy OTHERS decorating the outsides of their houses for Christmas.  It's so bright and sparkly and interesting to walk your dog at night.  I just love it.  But... I'm afraid I over-analyze things... because I nearly always walk in the door with a rant.

Because I feel like there are houses in our neighborhood that are having a Christmas-off and soon it's going to turn into this, and somehow it's my job to rant about it.


Because inflatable lawn decor really is ridiculous to look at when it's not inflated.  (personally, I don't care for inflatable lawn decor any time, but to each their own... and since this is my blog, this is MY own.  So I can say here that I don't really like it, or get it, or want it.  But it does seem to be an easy way to decorate quickly, so overall, I give it a C+). And, yes, it's my job to rant about it.

Because some house decorations made me cry (some of them make me cry a lot...)  I don't rant about this.  but I want to talk about it, and possibly cry some more...
"Welcome Home Mom and Dad: I have missed you!"  You're breaking my heart, sign...
And sometimes (and I am so so sorry to not have a picture of this, but it's on a fairly busy street, and I now have a baby so I can't just park on the side of a road and go traipsing through people's yards to get a good picture) I am super concerned because the nativity scene is like 1/3 life size, and the moose is actual life-size (or larger), so I'm not only questioning the priorities of this household, but also the safety of that baby Jesus who is likely to be a quick snack for that giant moose. 

... the same can be said for the giant penguin down the street that is likely to eat the polar bear.  Or the giant helicopter that is going to rain fire down on the Santa Train.  Perspectives, people.  Did nobody else have to take (and do horribly at) an art class in 7th grade?  Let's keep everything the same ratio here.


And I did find a house whose lights I loved enough that I thought "maybe one day I should put Christmas lights up at my house."  Obviously I didn't.  But I thought about it, which is a big step for me.  So I felt the need to rant about how much I love those lights.

I'm not sure why I put myself in charge of being concerned about the way that people chose to celebrate their outdoor holidays... I just have a lot of feelings.
Merry Christmas Season, friends.  I hope you have better neighbors than mine do, and everyone can just be happy that it's a happy time of year where walking your dog at night is less boring.

No comments: