Sunday, December 14, 2008

Type B Personality

You've heard the phrase "type A personality." Well what is a type B personality? Clearly not as well-known or as notable as type A.

I'm prone to think that everyone has a little type-A personality in them - lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike. As opposed to people who have a LOT of type-A personality in them - right up front for all the world to see. Even the most laid-back and generally chill people that I know have at least one thing, one issue, one area where things must go their way. For some people it's the arrangement of movies, for others it's a clean bathroom. For some it's waxing your floors every day, or dusting before vacuuming (even if you just wanted to vacuum). Maybe it's making sure that you chew every-other bite with the other half of your mouth, and making sure each half of your mouth gets equal bites. (and these are all true)

My type-A personality area (I know, "There's only one?" Shut up.) is canceling plans. If we make plans to do something exciting and I'm looking forward to it... and then it doesn't happen, I don't know how to handle myself. And by "I'm looking forward to it" I mean "I look forward to things and get excited about them in advance far too easily (What? There is a possibility of something shiny in three weeks? I'm excited!)." What is it, logically that I can't get. Often times there's a super good reason to cancel plans... and logically I get that. But still... STILL, I freak out. (note: this is also why I dislike so many holidays... because you get excited and they let you down. And that's why I choose to like the lesser-known holidays like "talk like a pirate day.")

Anywho, I'd like to take this forum to publicly apologise for people who I may have irrationally freaked out at over the years for just this type-A reason. Because, let's all be honest... everyone goes a little crazy sometimes, and I'm trying hard to not abuse the privilege.

What do you freak out about for no good reason? Where is your Type-A personality?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you have already posted mine:

1. I have to dust if I plan on vacuuming
2. A bathroom floor covered in hair freaks me the hell out.
3. My house must be clean before I go to bed...

Ok, sadly the list goes on and on and on. I like to think that I don't have OCD but sadly I do. Oh, and I totally hear you about the holidays. They suck.

Alexie said...

There is a correct way to load the dishwasher. And, apparently, curtis doesn't know how.

I try to not get upset when he takes on this chore, since it is the one chore I absolutely loathe, and he is trying to make me so happy by doing it himself, but would it hurt toi learn the correct way? MY way? :o)

Anonymous said...

Went all type-A on Unwitting Husband just yesterday - I was in the kitchen, getting lunch for The Boy, and UH came in, looking for something. It bears mentioning here that our kitchen is roughly the size of a 48 cent postage stamp, so when UH came across behind me looking for something, and I said what are you looking for, and he said I'm just looking and I said can I help you find something and he said no thank you and I kind of freaked out and had to stand PERFECTLYSTILL until he left the room and he noticed this and said what the heck is wrong with you and I shrieked OUT OF THE KITCHEN! GET OUT GET OUT! but it came out as "it's such a small kitchen, dear, that I wonder if you could let me help you or possibly get the hell out of the kitchen until I'm done" or words to that effect (opinions vary on which of these I actually said) and he told me that I must chill because he had hidden my keys... anyhow, let's just say that the OCDness is possibly different than true Type - A behaviour... but maybe not that different. And then I needed a cookie.

Meili said...

Among (many) other things, I hate it when someone closes a plastic bag of food without first emptying the extra air. You can't just close a ziplock bag full of cookies. You have to squish the air out first, and then seal it. Otherwise, the cookies won't stay fresh as long. Isn't this just common sense?

missy. said...

when loading items-for-purchase onto the conveyor belt in the checkout line of the supermarket, the items must be perfectly arranged: cans in straight rows, all dairy products grouped together, produce arranged in an aesthetically pleasing fashion. i also like to put items that share cupboards together on the conveyor belt, so that they end up in the same grocery bag and are easier to unload.

this is really the only housekeeping-related thing that i am obsessive about (as those who have lived with me can attest). unfortunately, it also happens to be a quirk that joe thinks is ridiculous, so he's constantly sabotaging my grocery organization. sometimes he even puts things on TOP of the kale, which drives me nuts because who wants to eat smashed kale?!