Monday, November 10, 2008

Hamlet

It's an interesting fact that I usually blog when I'm busiest. Apparently when I am busy I think of a lot of things that need to be said. Well... more than usual...

To sleep, perchance to dream


Last night I had a dream that I was riding a bike home from work (which was at the e-center). The problem with the dream is that every time I would stop, the bike would get harder to control and i would be less and less able to reach the pedals (the bike kept getting larger and larger). So, obviously, I looked-up what the dream meant:

Bicycle

To dream that you are riding a bicycle, signifies your desires to attain a balance in your life. You need to balance work and pleasure in order to succeed in your current undertakings. If you have difficulties riding the bicycle, then it suggests that you are experiencing anxieties about making it on your own.

Big

To dream that someone or something is bigger than normal, indicates that you either have an inflated opinion of yourself or of someone. You may be expressing a desire to be more dominant in some situation or relationship.


So apparently I have an inflated opinion of my anxieties and inability to find balance in my life?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all

Finding balance between work and pleasure, the spiritual and the every-day, truth and what is easy. There's a fine-line between all of it. I'm not sure what the right answer for any of it is. I think too often I just don't decide. It's not a strong argument... ooh, but as is so often the case with my arguments, I do have lyrics to back me up...

Then from out of the blue, and without any guide, you know what your decision is, which is not to decide. You'll just leave him a clue: for example, a shoe. And then see what he'll do. Now it's he and not you who is stuck with a shoe...in a stew...in the goo...and you've learned something too, something you never knew, on the steps of the palace.


When we have shuffled off this mortal coil

My grandpa died this week. It was really a blessing with everything going on health-wise with him. (do not read if you're eating) He had lost over 70 lbs in a month based on eating-less and puss/goo weeping out of his legs (which apparently was good because it used to be in his lungs?). What a strange feeling it is to pray for someone you love to die. A strange feeling to feel relief when someone is gone. And a strange feeling to be sad when what you wanted to happen... happens.

But, as I told my friend Tom, he was a good grandpa. Always with a camera, always with an organization structure to make sure he got the right shot. He loved good food, good people. The lovely people at the Imperial Palace knew, based on the structure of his plate, what he wanted boxed-up to go. And most of all, he was charming. Even when he couldn't remember names he would tell nurses that he "never forgets a pretty face." I will miss him terribly.

The undiscovere'd country

So, I'm going to Canada this week. Let me know if you need anything of the Canadian persuasion... Perhaps I should buy crumpets and we can all have a tea-party when we get back (ooh... suddenly that seems like a lovely idea).

To be, or not to be, that is the question

The window I can see from my office (through my across-the-hall co-worker's glass office's window) is closed today... I've just spent 20 minutes thinking I should go open his blinds... Maybe I will.

Also, just in case you haven't heard... I had my first vaguely-sporty event ever this weekend. It was a 5K and it was AWESOME. HOORAY!!!

5 comments:

Robin said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. Strange that both you and Elisha are dealing with these losses. I love you both. Have fun in Canada.

Ashes said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. :( Many hugs and loves to you.

Anonymous said...

Let's go to Canada, Sarah, and enjoy remembering our Grandfather while surrounded by the rest of our family, who also love and miss him, and who will no doubt agree wholeheartedly what a good Grandpa he was. I'll miss having to re-enact everything from the arrival to the moment we sit down to eat -- again for Grandpa's camera! Maybe you and I can do it twice, just for good measure.

Oh, and James sends a "YAY!" for your excellent showing in your 5k!

Jared said...

So do you think your dream and your grandfather is connected?? I wonder what Jung would say.

missy. said...

i'm sorry about your grandpa, sarah. i hope canada and family time is healing for you...